Sunday 11 March 2012

Spanked the schedule and slapped by a grouse.


Weeks until BG – 3.
Weeks until Lakeland 100 – 20.

Monday – nothing
Tuesday – 15 miles, 400m ascent, Bowes moor and along A66.
Wednesday – climb
Thursday – steady hill work at Hamsterley, 9 miles, 500m
Friday – rest
Saturday – L2 and L3 of BG, 35 miles, 4000m of ascent.
Sunday – sore achilles.

Total of 59 miles, 4900m of ascent.

Last 4 weeks have been an average of 52miles and 4800m of ascent.

Tuesday was supposed to be the first evening run I had done in daylight this year, but I got held up at work, so got the head torch on and went out on Bowes Moor. Running 4 miles of known ground and then 3.5 miles along the A66 rather than faff around with unknown ground north of the A66. A grouse obviously didn't expect to see me there as he got a fright, flew up and hit me in the face. Other than that and falling into a ditch on the way back an uneventful run.

Thursday I decided not to put in the fast hill reps and save myself for a long run on Saturday.

Saturday was a big day, 11 hours, nearly 60km (sounds further than 35 miles) and 4000m of ascent, all in about half a BG. I got tired on the run back from Scafell Pike to Borrowdale down the breathtakingly beautiful Langstrath Beck, but this was to be expected as I stopped eating properly thinking the day was over.

Saturday was a great day, L2 solo faster than 20 hour pace and L3 with Andy Kirkup on 22 hour pace. It was great to run with Andy whom I met on Gable a few weeks ago, he is a quality runner, with an apparently photographic memory for the route and he seems to understand what he is getting into so I have no doubt he can get round and look forward to helping out on his support crew if I can fit it in.

The only downside of the run on Saturday was a sore right achiles – a bit of me that hasn't been sore before. I had planned to walk up Scafell Pike with some workmates on Sunday, but they bailed on me and rather than push the injury I drove home for a well deserved day off.

Timings from Saturday for the record.
(24 hour schedule in brackets)


Clough Head
50
(59)
Great Dodd
26
(30)
Watson Dodd
10
(9)
Stybarrow Dodd
9
(9)
Raise
15
(18)
White Side
7
(8)
Helvellyn Lower Man
13
(18)
Helvellyn
5
(6)
Nethermost Pike
7
(10)
Dollywaggon Pike
10
(12)
Fairfield
38
(42)
Seat Sandal
23
(25)
Dunmail Raise - Arrive
16
(25)
Steel Fell
24
(25)
Calf Crag
21
(20)
Sergeant Man
32
(35)
High Raise
8
(9)
Thunacar Knott
15
(15)
Harrison Stickle
9
(10)
Pike o Stickle
13
(12)
Rossett Pike
39
(45)
Bowfell
32
(35)
Esk Pike
21
(25)
Great End
25
(25)
Ill Crag
15
(15)
Broad Crag
10
(10)
Scafell Pike
12
(12)

As you can see, I stormed almost all the splits, especially pleasing are the climb of Clough Head, and Fairfield – where I tried a new line and ended up climbing a travellator of scree for the top 50m. I am struggling to believe I took nearly 10m out of the 24 hour schedule on a steady descent of Seat Sandal, perhaps this has got easier as the BG path has developed over the past couple of years.

Another positive was finding the lines on and off Great End (on – follow the first sign of a path up, off due south and follow a line of cairns).

I have an outline of a team for an attempt in 3 weeks time, fingers crossed for the weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment